4 Top Novel Protein Dog Food for Allergy-Prone Canines
- What is a novel protein diet?
- What do you feed a dog with a protein allergy?
What are the Top Novel Protein Diets For Dogs?
- 1. Kangaroo
- 2. Venison
- 3. Crocodile meat
- 4. Duck
Due to worldwide demand, novel protein diets have become the new commercial dog food for allergy-prone canines. But is the effectiveness of novel protein diets justifiable? Or is it merely just a silly fad?
Some of the best novel protein diets for dogs can be found in animal proteins like in kangaroo meat, venison, crocodile meat, and duck meat. They are hypoallergenic in nature, low in fat, and enriched with the goodness of vitamins to help your dog fight various illnesses.
Also, they taste good to most dogs and are easy to prepare. Just feed the meat raw to your dog directly or add them into your dog’s beverage as either way works.
Studies have shown that most dogs with chronic diarrhea have a higher life span due to consuming novel protein diets. We present you the 4 Best Novel Protein Dog Food That Tops It All!
What is a novel protein diet?
A novel protein is a protein source that is a rare ingredient in generic pet foods, thus making it a new protein that your dog has not tasted yet. For example, poultry such as venison, duck, kangaroo, and rabbit are common examples of novel protein.
Novel protein diets are beneficial in treating dog-related allergies such as skin and food sensitivities. Therefore, you could reduce the chances of an adverse reaction in your dog.
What do you feed a dog with a protein allergy?
Chicken, beef, turkey, and lamb are meats used most often in pet food for dogs. However, they sometimes trigger an allergic reaction. For that, novel protein diets such as venison, rabbit, duck, kangaroo, or ostrich are the best hypoallergenic dog food.
Novel protein diets are a suitable alternative compared to regular protein since the chances of your dog’s body or immune system soliciting a negative response from consuming them is not high.
What are the Top Novel Protein Diets For Dogs?
Kangaroo is the best dog food for allergies for its lean red meat ratio. For example, dogs that suffer from internal conditions such as pancreatitis can consume kangaroo meat.
For easy use, try using kangaroo bone broth in your dog’s diet. High in collagen, glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid, this supplement can help a dog ease their allergies and fight against cancer altogether.
Tips for adding kangaroo broth into your dog's diet:
- Add it to dry dog kibble or as a beverage.
- Put it into freeze-dried food or dehydrated water.
- Freeze it into ice cubes before giving it to your dog.
Is Kangaroo Meat good for dogs?
- The lean meat ratio found in kangaroo meat is rich and high in vitamin B, omega 3s, iron, and zinc in comparison to animal-based meat proteins out there.
- The high levels of zinc and iron can help strengthen a dog’s immune system and cell membranes that lead to a dog’s fast recovery from wounds and diseases that they suffer daily as a regular canine.
- The proteins and carbohydrates found in zinc can bring up your dog’s energy levels while keeping their coats and paw pads healthy and strong.
- Since kangaroo meat has an excellent source of iron, it works best together with copper and protein to create oxygen-rich hemoglobin to boost up your dog’s red blood cells.
- The iron source also helps to speed up your dog’s growth rate at a much speedier rate.
- The high level of iron helps dogs who suffer from gastrointestinal problems such as constipation.
Venison meat aids dogs in maintaining healthy energy levels by the rich availability of B vitamins. This protein is an ideal alternative for dogs that have an allergic reaction to food such as beef and chicken.
The benefits of venison meat:
- Ideal for dogs of all ages especially for those who suffer from pancreatic problems and kidney-related issues.
- It is a free-range form of protein
- This meat contains only 2% fat and cholesterol.
- It tastes good.
- It helps to reduce skin irritation and food-related issues in your dogs.
- It is rich in minerals such as zinc, phosphorus and iron.
Is Venison good for dogs? Deer meat could be the healthiest dog food.
- Venison, also known as deer meat is not considered a common dog food although it is a healthy alternative compared to other cuts of protein meats. This is because your dog is less likely to develop an allergy as it is a novel protein diet.
- Compared to beef and other types of meat, venison has less fat and cholesterol so that your dog can avoid the risk of major health concerns such as heart disease and obesity.
- It is packed with vitamin B, zinc, and iron that are essential in cultivating a healthy diet and maintaining healthy tissue in dogs.
- It is a good alternative for dogs who suffer from chicken or beef allergies due to its novel protein nature.
- Ground venison is an excellent source of lean protein for dogs due to their low fat, high iron, and rich in protein nature.
- Unlike chicken meat, venison is also a healthy treat for your dog as it is cultivated in a free-range environment.
- On top of that, venison gives your dog an extra boost of vitamins B12 and B6, riboflavin, and niacin.
3. Crocodile meat
Crocodile meat is the best dog food for skin allergies for its uncommon usage in commercial dog food diets. It is ideal as a suitable long-term maintenance diet, since it becomes an ideal elimination diet for food trials.
Benefits of crocodile meat:
- low in fat
- good for allergy problems
- helps prevent skin issues that plague many dogs
- An ideal diet for dogs with dermatitis, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, and multiple food allergies.
Is Crocodile Meat good for dogs?
- Crocodile meat is the real deal when it comes to a novel protein diet for dogs due to its minimum exposure in the dog food industry. Therefore, it is an ideal long-term maintenance diet for most dogs.
- Since crocodile meat is hypoallergenic, it is a top choice for dogs in combating canine-related allergy problems such as dermatitis, pancreatitis, and such.
- It has one of the lowest ratios of fat in it thus making it the best option for dogs that want to avoid calorie inducing meats that lead to stomach problems such as pancreatitis.
- It is a healthy dog treat compared to other commercial dog food due to its protein and Omega-3 rich fatty acids.
Duck in Dog Food - The Benefits of Duck Meat
- In pet food for dogs, ducks can be used in many forms. For example, it can be used as fresh meat such as fresh duck, deboned duck, and freshly prepared duck. Otherwise, you can opt for a dry duck meal such as dried duck and dehydrated duck.
- It has a high source of quality protein, low in saturated fat, and a good alternative for dogs that are allergic to chicken and beef.
- It is light in texture and easy on the stomach, therefore making it a highly digestible food for dogs. Also, duck meat tastes great as well
- It is rich in vitamin A and B3 and other beneficial minerals to help your dog ward off serious health ailments such as cancer.
Running out of your regular doggie food stash? Also check out our raw meat selections
We do it for you, conveniently packed in a few variants such as raw kangaroo, raw venison, and raw duck meat. Our fresh dog food is packed with amino acids, enzymes, and minerals. Feed them to your dog regularly so that your dog remains healthy and is free from pesky allergies.
If food allergies or sensitivities are one of the main concerns for your dog, we highly recommend you switch over to these four best novel protein dog foods like kangaroo, venison, crocodile meat and duck. This is because a non-commercial diet is still the best bet.
Choose a suitable option that suits your dog’s taste buds, breed and stomach tolerance to avoid further tummy upsets. For sure, your dog’s health condition will thank you for it at the end of the day.
Sources and references:
Joeirg, S., Jurgen, Z., and Maria, V., 2017. Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs: retrospective study in 136 cases. 31(4), pp.1045-1055.
PetMD. 2014. Feeding The Dog With Chronic Diarrhea. [online] Available at: https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/dr-coates/2014/january/feeding-dog-chronic-diarrhea#1 [4th June 2020]
TopDogTips. 2017. The Best Dog Food For Dogs With Diarrhea And Loose Stools. [online] Available at: https://topdogtips.com/best-dog-food-for-dogs-with-diarrhea#2 [4th June 2020]